Wednesday 21 September 2011

Soul_Kate VOL. 1: DOUBLE OR NOTHING……..


 
 Kate Henshaw | Published on Saturday Vanguard 10th Sept 201


Water water everywhere and not a drop to drink the popular saying goes. In the land of plenty, we seem to be lacking tremendously in virtually every area of need. We are reduced to trying extra hard to make ends meet.
At a modest count or rather attempt on statistics, over 50% of Nigerians have more than one mobile phone and are subscribing to more than one mobile network. Abroad when I lay my phones out ready to receive a call, neighbour who lives across the road from me, Janice, always exclaims at the sight of more than one phone. I wonder why this is so?

On Saturday the 3rd of September, I went to the DSTV office on Tiamiyu Savage to pay subscription for my decoders at home which were to expire on the 4th and 8th of September respectively. Little did I know that I was being too diligent in trying to be a good customer, free of debt et al. There began my frustration. I left there to the Palms where I purchased a brand new tear rubber television for my sister and when I got home, she connected it and then exclaimed that the decoder was saying “E16 currently scrambled”! I was shocked and could not speak for a few seconds. I felt betrayed and unappreciated that my good work had been repaid in a bad coin. After all the subscription had not expired and it was working fine till I had to be a Miss goody-two-shoes. I promptly called my guy who installs all the decoders in the house and there was a back and forth for almost 4hours and then it started working. It was just the beginning, I got back from church the next day and then the decoder which was due on the 8thof September was now showing a red light. I called the customer service number to no avail and then tired as I was drove down to their office again to complain, I was then informed that my decoder was among the few that needed an upgrade and that I had to bring it in and I was livid, why was I not told this when I came to make payment on Saturday? I headed back home and thankfully switched on my Hitv decoder and started to watch my Hinolly Yoruba. I was beat and could not be bothered.

This year’s rainy season has been quite harrowing if the rain of July 10th, 2011 is anything to go by. If you had a saloon car (no matter the model or manufacturer) and you did not experience the frustration at not being able to ride your car through the flood, did not receive the huge bill from your mechanic, then you must be living in another country or planet. Surely most people would have thought of getting a jeep as we call it here in Nigeria on an SUV as it
 is called abroad.


SOURCE: http://katehenshaw.com/blog

No comments: